Here are resources to use in helping people journey with Jesus on
THE DISCIPLESHIP PATHWAY:
The gospel declares that because of Jesus Christ, all people are loved, forgiven and accepted by God—all belong (Eph. 1:4-6). Sadly, many don’t experience God’s unconditional love and acceptance and the result is sin and the pain it brings. But the Holy Spirit is actively at work helping people come to know that they belong. He does so by leading disciple-making churches to embrace unbelievers, thus joining with Jesus in his ministry of evangelism.
Embracing unbelievers involves developing friendships with those who do not know Jesus, then sharing with them God’s love in ways that convey the good news (gospel) about Jesus accurately, clearly and attractively. Here are resources recommended by GCI for churches to use in their ministries of evangelism:
- Articles on evangelism.
- FaithTalk Equipper – various resources to use in starting and facilitating evangelistic small groups.
- 18-minute video on evangelism:
As people understand the gospel and experience the truth that God, through Jesus, by the Spirit, has included them in his love and life, they begin to see God and themselves in a new light—they begin to believe. The Spirit leads disciple-making churches to nurture believers.
Believers are nurtured in and through the church in multiple ways—a primary one involves teaching new believers the basics of the Christian faith. Here are recommended resources to use:
- We Believe – a comprehensive tool for teaching all age groups the core beliefs of our Christian faith.
- The Basics for New Christians – a less comprehensive tool for teaching adults and older teens.
- Discipleship 101 – a discussion-based tool for teaching Christian doctrine.
- Small Groups Starter: Ready, Set, Grow – a resource to help you start and facilitate small groups.
- Age-graded resources – links to tools for discipling all age groups (includes non-GCI resources)
- Kingdom Life Studies – a video-based Bible study curriculum that explores Christian living.
- Discipleship Explored – a discipleship course that uses videos.
In addition to teaching the basics of the Christian faith, disciple-making churches address the following key issues related to nurturing believers (click on the bar to expand that topic):
- Small Groups Starter: Ready, Set, Grow - a resource to help you start and facilitate small groups.
- How to Build a Small Groups Ministry - a book by Neal McBride.
- FaithTalk equipper - a GCI website with resources to use in starting then facilitating small groups that include both believers and unbelievers.
- How to Deliver Effective Speeches - examining basic public speaking skills.
- Biblical Preaching - a primer on this topic by master-preacher Haddon Robinson.
- Five Most Common Mistakes Made by Preachers---short videos from master-preacher Frank Thomas. To watch on YouTube, click here, here, here, here and here.
(equip workers | multiply leaders, ministries & churches)
As believers journey with Jesus, the Spirit transforms them into who they are (and are becoming) in Christ. Growing into that reality includes engaging as workers in ministry with Jesus, with some workers becoming disciple-making leaders. The Spirit leads churches to equip workers and multiply leaders who then multiply ministries and churches.
Here are some recommended advanced teaching resources that churches can use in equipping ministers (both workers and leaders):
- 40 Days of Discipleship – a self-paced, advanced curriculum in GCI doctrine and Trinitarian theology.
- Education – free and low-cost online courses provided by GCI in theology and ministry practice.
- Ministry growth – tools to help ministers grow spiritually and in disciple-making competency.
Grounded in the foundational teachings addressed by the resources above, workers and leaders need help to develop competency in the following key aspects of disciple-making ministry (click on the bar to expand that topic):
- Freedom from the Tyranny of the Urgent - a book on time management by Charles Hummel.
- Help for the Small Church Pastor - a book by Steve R. Bierly.
- Schedule Interrupted, discovering God’s time-management.
- Overcoming E-mail Overload.
- 10 Steps to Conquering Information Overload.
- How to Control Your Calendar.
- Pursuing God’s Will Together - a book by Ruth Haley Barton about a group discernment process.
- How to Make Meetings Work - a book on the nuts-and-bolts of conducting meetings.
- Crisis Counseling - a book by counselor-teacher Norman Wright.
- Resolving Disputes in Christian Groups - a book by church consultant Marlin Thomas.
- GCI-USA Church Administration Manual - policies and procedures for administering churches.
- Pastors of Promise - a book on ministry integrity and accountability by Pastor Jack Hayford.
- Transformational Church - a book about church renewal by Ed Stetzer and Thom Rainer.
- Transitioning - a book about leading change in churches by Dan Southerland.
- Here is a 20-minute video from GCI addressing the paradigm shifts necessary for church leaders to become competent in disciple-making ministry:
- GCI Church Multiplication Ministries - resources and training programs.
- Planting Missional Churches - a book by Ed Stetzer.
- Mission-Shaped Church - a book on missional churches.
- Here is 25-minute video from GCI on the competencies of church planters:
- A Spirituality of Fundraising - a book by Henri Nouwen.
- A Christian View of Money: Celebrating God's Generosity - a book by Mark Vincent.
- Biblical Principles for Stewardship and Fundraising.
- Here are two GCI videos on fundraising (12 and 9 minutes long):