Here are resources to use in helping people journey with Jesus on THE DISCIPLESHIP PATHWAY.
The gospel declares that because of Jesus Christ, all people are loved, forgiven and accepted by God—all belong (Eph. 1:4-6). Sadly, many don’t experience God’s unconditional love and acceptance and the result is sin
and the pain it brings. But the Holy Spirit is actively at work helping people come to know that they belong. He does so by leading disciple-making churches to embrace unbelievers, thus joining with Jesus in his
ministry of evangelism.
Embracing unbelievers involves developing friendships with those who do not know Jesus, then sharing with them God’s love in ways that convey the good news (gospel) about Jesus accurately, clearly and attractively. Here are
resources recommended by GCI for churches to use in their ministries of evangelism:
- GCI articles about evangelism
- FaithTalk Equipper – various resources to use in starting and facilitating evangelistic small groups.
- 18-minute video on evangelism:
- Alpha – a discussion-based curriculum to use in sharing the gospel with unbelievers in a small group setting.
- Our Gospel Story – a curriculum for teaching believers how to evangelize.
- The Sacrament of Evangelism – a book on the theology of evangelism with tips on how
- Evangelism in a Skeptical World – a book that applies the latest in storytelling
and missiology to equip Christians to tell the unbelievable news about Jesus to friends in a skeptical world.
As people understand the gospel and experience the truth that God, through Jesus, by the Spirit, has included them in his love and life, they begin to see God and themselves in a new light—they begin to believe. The
Spirit leads disciple-making churches to nurture believers.
Believers are nurtured in and through the church in multiple ways—a primary one involves teaching new believers the basics of the Christian faith. Here are the recommended resources to use:
- On Being Series – a four-part interactive connect group curriculum, designed for biblically-based, dynamic discussions around being a disciple.
- We Believe– a comprehensive tool for teaching all age groups the core beliefs of our Christian faith.
- The Basics for New Christians – a less comprehensive tool for teaching adults and older teens.
- Discipleship 101– a discussion-based tool for teaching Christian doctrine.
- Connect Groups Starter: Ready, Set, Grow – a resource to help you start and facilitate connect groups.
- Spiritual Disciplines (connect group curriculum)
- Age-graded resources – links to tools for discipling all age groups (includes non-GCI resources)
- Kingdom Life Studies– a video-based Bible study curriculum that explores Christian living.
- Discipleship Explored – a discipleship course that uses videos.
In addition to teaching the basics of the Christian faith, disciple-making churches address the following key issues related to nurturing believers (click on the bar to expand that topic):
- Worship Resources - a page on this website with multiple worship-related resources.
- GCI articles about worship
- Worship, Community & the Triune God of Grace - a book by J.B. Torrance on the theology of worship.
- Connect Groups Starter: Ready, Set, Grow - a resource to help you start and facilitate small groups.
- How to Build a Small Groups Ministry - a book by Neal McBride.
- FaithTalk equipper - a GCI website with resources to use in starting then facilitating connect groups that include both believers and unbelievers.
- How to Deliver Effective Speeches - examining basic public speaking skills.
- Biblical Preaching - a primer on this topic by master-preacher Haddon Robinson.
- Five Most Common Mistakes Made by Preachers---short videos from master-preacher Frank Thomas. To watch on YouTube, click here, here, here, here and here.
- GCI articles about personal money management.
- A Christian View of Money - a book by Mark Vincent.
- Principles of Biblical Stewardship.
(equip workers | multiply leaders, ministries & churches)
As believers journey with Jesus, the Spirit transforms them into who they are (and are becoming) in Christ. Growing into that reality includes engaging as workers in ministry with Jesus, with some workers becoming
disciple-making leaders. The Spirit leads churches to equip workers and multiply leaders who then multiply ministries and churches.
Here are some recommended advanced teaching resources that churches can use in equipping ministers (both workers and leaders):
- 40 Days of Discipleship– a self-paced, advanced curriculum in GCI doctrine and Trinitarian theology.
- Education – free and low-cost online courses provided by GCI in theology and ministry practice.
- Ministry growth– tools to help ministers grow spiritually and in disciple-making competency.
Grounded in the foundational teachings addressed by the resources above, workers and leaders need help to develop competency in the following key aspects of disciple-making ministry (click on the bar to expand that topic):
- Ministry Grid - a website with multiple ministry training resources.
- Building Leaders - a book by Aubrey Malphurs.
- The Leadership Baton - a book on multiplying leaders.
- Six Functions of the Church.
- Upward, Inward and Outward in Words and Deeds.
- Ministry Nuts and Bolts - a book by Aubrey Malphurs.
- Doing Church as a Team - a book by Wayne Cordeiro.
- Leading the Team-Based Church - a book by George Cladis on the Trinitarian theology of ministry teams.
- REAL Teams - PDF version, PowerPoint version
- Freedom from the Tyranny of the Urgent - a book on time management by Charles Hummel.
- Help for the Small Church Pastor - a book by Steve R. Bierly.
- Schedule Interrupted, discovering God’s time-management.
- Overcoming E-mail Overload.
- 10 Steps to Conquering Information Overload.
- How to Control Your Calendar.
- Pursuing God’s Will Together - a book by Ruth Haley Barton about a group discernment process.
- How to Make Meetings Work - a book on the nuts-and-bolts of conducting meetings.
- Crisis Counseling - a book by counselor-teacher Norman Wright.
- Resolving Disputes in Christian Groups - a book by church consultant Marlin Thomas.
- GCI-USA Church Administration Manual - policies and procedures for administering churches.
- Pastors of Promise - a book on ministry integrity and accountability by Pastor Jack Hayford.
- Transformational Church - a book about church renewal by Ed Stetzer and Thom Rainer.
- Transitioning - a book about leading change in churches by Dan Southerland.
- Here is a 20-minute video from GCI addressing the paradigm shifts necessary for church leaders to become competent in disciple-making ministry:
- Mentoring Presentation (PowerPoint).
- GCI Intern Program - includes scripts for discussions between mentors and mentees.
- GCI Ministry Coaching - includes various resources related to coaching.
- Mentoring that Makes a Difference.
- GCI Church Multiplication Ministries - resources and training programs.
- Planting Missional Churches - a book by Ed Stetzer.
- Mission-Shaped Church - a book on missional churches.
- Here is 25-minute video from GCI on the competencies of church planters:
- A Spirituality of Fundraising - a book by Henri Nouwen.
- A Christian View of Money: Celebrating God's Generosity - a book by Mark Vincent.
- Biblical Principles for Stewardship and Fundraising.
- Here are two GCI videos on fundraising (12 and 9 minutes long):